Driving in a big city can sometimes be overwhelming, stressful and chaotic. The volume of vehicles, obscure streets and noise create much different conditions than typical highway driving.
However, by remaining calm, maintaining a lawful speed limit, and stay alert – you can safely navigate through our city’s major streets.
Here are some easy tips to keep in mind when driving through the city:
- Check your rear-view mirror every 10 to 20 seconds, especially when making a turn or changing lanes.
- Merge slowly and smoothly into the traffic stream when changing lanes. Check your side mirrors and your blind spot before moving.
- Keep your wheels straight before making a right turn until you have checked your mirrors to make sure no one will run into you from the rear
- Get into the left lane before making a left turn and avoid swinging right to give yourself more room than necessary.
- Never run a red light for any reason! When approaching a yellow light, try to stop if you safely can. However, also avoid sudden braking, which can cause a crash if vehicles behind you do not expect you to stop.
- When approaching an intersection in which the light just turned green, do not assume that cross-street traffic will stop. Hover your foot over your brake pedal and slow down to ensure that you can safely enter the intersection.
- Exercise caution when the streets are wet due to snow or rain. Oil and fuel float on the top of water, which makes the road extremely slippery. To avoid slipping, accelerate and brake slowly, and increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Allow vehicles next to you to merge into your lane if they have indicated that intention with a turn signal.
- If you notice an erratic driver, be very cautious and try to steer clear of his or her path.
By not following the rules of the road, you can be penalized with hefty fines. If you have been cancelled by your insurance provider for multiple infractions or non-payment, BeWiser Insurance Brokers can help.